Friday, January 31, 2014

Day Twenty-Six


“Stumbling, Staggering, On They Go! Who will be the next to be carried off the floor?”

I think I've talked myself into doing the 60 day Bikram Yoga Challenge.  There are only four days left before I hit the thirty-classes-in-one-month mark and the owner of the studio announced that she'll be extending the challenge to 60 days for all those interested.  

I had been having a little hissy fit with yoga-every-damn-day because gosh darn it, it's hard.  After class yesterday, I came home and felt so sore that I called my Surfer Boy husband who was out and about running errands and asked him if he could stop by Gelson's market on the way home and pick up a bottle of fine red wine to go with dinner.  The clever way that I phrase this, "fine red wine" makes me feel better about what could be a slippery slope into fine-red-wine-every-night.  I seem to enjoy vacillating between excess and moderation.  In yoga class yesterday, I found myself thinking about--of all things--medical marijuana.  I don't like the way pot makes me feel, don't like having any substance that has control over me, and am not eager to go out of my way to meet with a doctor and obtain a medical marijuana card.  But...a good friend of mine who's in a wheelchair was showing me his marijuana infused chocolate bars the other day.  "This one," he said while handing me a box of chocolate which looked more like something I could buy at Whole Foods, than in a back alley, "this one will get you high and this other type won't.  It just takes the pain away.  In fact," he continued, "much as I resist taking drugs, I have to say, this stuff's a miracle."

Working out for ninety minutes in a room that's heated to 105 degrees is challenging.  So why do I do it every day?  I was questioning that myself when I woke up this morning and rolled over to my right shoulder that was in pain.  

Arriving for class, I set up my mat next to one of the students whose litany of complaints sounded like mine: It's tough fitting this into my day.  It wipes me out for the rest of the day if I've gotten behind and have to do double workouts.  I woke up this morning and my back hurt from stretching so much.  I stood in the center of my mat, took several deep breaths and the yoga started to work its magic.  I felt loose and happy.  When we did the separate leg stretching posture that had me hanging upside down like a kid hanging from monkey bars, my spine lengthened and I think I even grew an inch.  Our teacher, Melissa, inspired us with funny stories about her brother's crazy penchant for high priced yoga shorts: Burberry yoga shorts.  I didn't even know Burberry made yoga shorts.  I started to relax with her instructions: Inhale, one, two, three, four.  Exhale, one, two, three, four.

When class was over, my yoga buddy who's also trying to decide if she should extend the challenge to 60 days, gave me a thumbs up and mouthed: I'm going to do it!

So what if it's hard?  If things were easy, everyone would be doing them.  I love a good endurance event because I love the feeling of outlasting everyone.  I probably would've done good in some of those "Last couple standing" dance marathons that were popular in the 20s and 30s.  Pin a number on me, give me a good looking Surfer Boy dance partner and a lead role in They Shoot Horses Don't They?  and I could make millions.

I drank the red wine last night but am happier without that as a big part of my life.  And the medical marijuana?  They Shoot Yogi's Don't They?  All the same, I think Ill have to pass.






No comments:

Post a Comment