Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Neighbor Kevin


Kevin was my next door neighbor for six years. Our front doors were about three yards apart at the apartment complex we shared. There was a very close knit community of us in that complex. We all had the keys to each others homes, we took care of each others animals, we ate pizza together, played dice and watched Lakers games together. And we also surfed together.

One day about four years ago, Kevin was down at the beach, dove into the water head first, and became instantly paralyzed. He can move his arms but not his legs, fingers or toes. Kevin is one of the most inspiring people I have ever met. He goes to Project Walk three times a week, works out in a standing frame, which mimics walking, uses a hand cycling machine and is determined to walk again. He has also become the ambassador of the apartment complex. Everyone loves Kevin.

The night I got back from Catalina Island, I got a call that Kevin was being admitted to the hospital with a high fever. Nothing life threatening, but they are running tons of tests to determine what is wrong.

I stopped by to see him on Monday, bringing all the pictures from the Avalon 50. As I was showing him a slide show I had put together, complete with music, I was feeling embarrassed for myself. As wonderful of a time as I had at the race, there was a big part of me that was berating myself for not being able to cross the finish line of the 50 mile race, and only going 25 miles. Sitting there talking with Kevin, I realized that life is such an amazing gift. Every single step we take, every breath we take, just the fact that we can swing our legs out of bed in the morning, jump out of bed, leash up the dog and go for a walk, is an absolute miracle. I write this story, not to bring you down, but to remind all of us that every single precious moment is to be savored, adored and cherished as a gift from the Divine. Go outside today and take a long, deep breath.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for checking pout my blog! You are right, a very similar story, different circumstances but same outcome. We are so lucky to be able to stand on our own two feet and move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and a good reminder not to take life for granted. One day while waiting for an older lady to cross the road going into Target, I also observed two young boys by her side (looked like twins around 12 years old) with walking supports in each arm and a big smile on their faces like it was their first time out of the house. They could barely make it across the road, but they were so happy and proud of walking. It was a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this story...2 years ago I was very ill and thought I would never run again...amongst many other 'never agains'...here I am today, praying in gratitude daily for my health and ability to do what I do. We really do need to take NOTHING for granted, because you never know what tomorrow will bring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raw Body Goddess: Wow! You are an amazing inspiration. Didn't know you were ill. Thanks for uplifting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a story, Jennifer! Everyday is a gift. We must make the most of it each day because we are not guaranteed tomorrow. Talk at you later....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope he's okay.. and all test results turn out fine. Thank you for sharing this. I have always been so grateful that I can walk and that i have eyes to see and ears to listen. When I was a kid, maybe 6 or 7... I wondered if I was an invalid of some sort in "another life", because I used to thank God every night for making me whole. I had such an overwhelming sense of gratefulness when I was seemingly too small to understand the concept. If anyone will walk again it will be Kevin. I love his determination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful comments. All of you guys inspire me so much.

    ReplyDelete