Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Has Rico Secretly Taken Out A Life Insurance Policy On Me?






Between Kerry taking me out in the Tsunami surf conditions on Monday, and Rico taking me on our adventure today, I am beginning to think that the two of them have been watching too much Lifetime Channel movies. You know, the chick channel where someone is always attempting to collect millions in life insurance money. They never get away with it.

I met Rico at Blackstar Canyon this morning for what I thought was going to be a nice, easy, 2 hour hike on a fire road. Easy.

When we met, he handed me a newspaper article from the OC Register, which showed a picture of a stunning, mysterious waterfall in Blackstar Canyon. You can read about it here. Well, I did not "read all about it" but instead tossed the news article into the back of my car, and off we went.

The article claimed that it was only around five miles round trip. Simple really. Seven hours later we were back at our cars.

We found the creek, made a sharp right and there was a small trail which quickly turned into NO trail, but instead a series of boulder climbing and hopping, scrambling and bushwacking up a narrow debris laden creek.

If I had known what I was in for, I would've worn running tights, long sleeved shirt, gloves, trail gaiters and probably had some of those hiking poles, which I don't own. But no, my attire consisted of a cute little pair of short pink running shorts, a short sleeved shirt and running shoes which quickly got soaked.

This location is stunning. We saw hundred year old oak trees, red newts, cute tiny little frogs gleefully hopping along with us, lush ferns. And poison oak. Lots of poison oak. Are we there yet? How much further could it be? We can't give up now, we must be almost there. Did we go the right way? What time is the sun going to set?

We finally made it there and were rewarded by hundreds of gallons of water splashing down into a small pool of delightfully cool water which I took advantage of to bring the swelling down.

On the way home, I stopped at the drug store and bought myself a large bottle of Tecnu, a preparation which removes poison oak oil from your skin and clothes.

We had a wonderful adventure. I will now answer the question that Expiring Minds wanna know - Yes, I did break a fingernail.

No comments:

Post a Comment