Tuesday, May 10, 2011
101 Ways I Get Out Of Physical Therapy Exercises
Physical therapy exercises are dumb. They're really wimpy compared to running 50 miles or having a four hour warm water surf session in Maui. But, alas, they're worth it.
As I was getting ready for my morning home session of PT, here are some of the procrastinating thoughts and actions that prepared me:
• If I pick up this particular inspirational book, and open it to a random page, I'll read exactly the sentence I need to motivate me.
• What's for breakfast?
• I wonder if my old friend Kevin Helmo is on FaceBook?
• I'm going to post an inane status update to FB to see if anyone is just as bored as I
• What exactly was last nights dream about? I was suckling an infant to my breast in the dream. Perhaps I've given birth to something new in my life. Hmmmmmm. What could that be?
• I wonder if I still have that old "Jewel" CD. There's a song on there I want to learn to sing.
• He should've never gone into Old Man Spivey's backyard that dark summer night. (A quote from one of my favorite B horror films)
• Perhaps there really is a new drug being developed that will eliminate pain with no side effects
• If I play this Wayne Dyer motivational CD while I work out, maybe it will make the process easier
• You know, a blue area rug would look really good in the living room
• How exactly will it go today when Kerry and I finally pin Victor (Jessica's chihuahua) down and brush his teeth? This veterinary dentistry is costing us a fortune.
• Let me check my Iphone one more time to see if anyone's called or texted
• Does Mary Kay make an eyeliner that's waterproof? If so, I need to order that
• One last trip to the internet to check out photon therapy as an option for my knee
• Do we have enough frequent flyer miles for a trip to Maui? First Class?
• What are Victor and Rusty barking at? Again? I'm going to throw this bottle of digestive enzymes that sits on my coffee table at them. That'll shut 'em up!
• Who's going to get eliminated on Dancing With The Stars tonight?
• Okay, the Lakers sucked this last round. Kobe Bryant 'aint gettin' none from me tonight
And then.....at long last......there's FINALLY doing the exercises
They take about an hour per session (2-3 per day) It doesn't even matter if I'm focused or not. The sheer action of going through the motions has produced results. I walk mostly steadily with one crutch. Today, I could bend my knee just about all the way into my chest while lying flat. I actually kissed my knee! My Mom always used to kiss my boo-boo's. It always made them feel better.
Happy Days To You All!
As soon as I can do this again, I'll post a picture. It won't be long.