Monday, June 14, 2010

Holcomb Valley 33 Mile Race




Just got back from our annual trip to Big Bear for the Holcomb Valley 33 mile / 15 mile race.

Only I didn't participate in it and I miss it like crazy!

Being around all the runners and hanging out at the finish line is amazingly inspiring. It also makes me acutely aware of the fact that I'm not out there doing the sport I love the most, which feeds my soul - trail running - specifically ultrarunning.

It's been one year since the knee surgery and I am now starting to make the rounds of various doctors; old and new test results in hand. One doctor wants to take a section of cadaver bone and jigsaw puzzle style, replace the dead bone area with a new and improved bone.

Enough about that. We had an amazing weekend of laughter, fun, friendship and pictionary (our favorite game). On the morning of the race, Kerry and I did 90 minutes of yoga, a one hour brisk walk around Big Bear, then went and got a massage. We know how to not trail run in style!

You have to admit, we do look happy in the picture and we are. There is so much to be grateful for. When we got home, I walked out onto our deck, took a deep breath of ocean air, and said "Life is Extremely Good" Sometimes folks, we get up in the morning, look in the mirror and we're still there. And sometimes, that's enough.

2 comments:

  1. great post! You will back at it soon. Love the last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome attitude! It really IS hard to not be able to do what you love and makes you really re-evaluate your life. I know when (and I do say *when*) you get back to running you will have an appreciation for it that most do not. When I couldn't run for a while due to illness, I was devastated. When I came back to it I would get giddy over 3-4 miles because I was just so happy to be able to run at all. I am so grateful for every run I do now, and every race I participate in as I never know when it could be my last. My prayers are with you that you will find an answer soon!!!

    ReplyDelete